Organic coconut oil is as good for our dogs as it is for us. We strive for our pets to feel good and healthy and coconut oil is the way to go. When used internally and externally, it treats different health problems due to its composition of medium chain fatty acids. One of these medium chain fatty acids is lauric acid which gives it antiviral, antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-microbial properties. Overall, it helps to fight infection and improves the health of your dog.
When used as a nutritional supplement, simply add it to their food and/or water. Most dogs love the taste and take it as a "treat". Most important is its infection-fighting properties which come from the lauric acid (makes up 50% of coconut oil). The only other abundant source of lauric acid is through mother's breast milk. As we all know, breast milk plays a major role in keeping infants healthy and protecting them against infection. It can help you and your dog in the same way.
When getting ready to feed your dog coconut oil, you should slowly introduce it to your dog a little at a time. If given too much at first, it caused stomach upset, diarrhoea, or vomiting. This is because it has a detox effect and your dog has to slowly get used to it. It's recommended to start with 1/4 teaspoon for small dogs and 1 teaspoon for large dogs. Every few days, increase the dosage a little. The recommended dose for dogs is 1/4 teaspoon every 10 pounds of weight, twice daily. If you're unsure, you can always check with your vet.
When fed regularly to your dog, it can have many benefits for their skin, digestion, and immune system.
How Coconut Oil benefits the skin:
- Helps relieve and clear up skin conditions such as itchy skin, dermatitis, eczema, and flea allergies
- Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections
- Promotes wound healing and great for bites and stings
- Gives your dog a beautiful, healthy coat
How Coconut Oil helps the immune system:
- Contains lauric acid which gives it antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and anti-microbial properties
- Increases energy and helps reduce weight
- Helps to prevent or control diabetes
- Promotes normal thyroid function
- Helps with arthritis
How Coconut Oil helps with digestion:
- Improves digestion and helps the body to absorb vitamins and nutrients
- Treats bad breath and even eliminates it
- Helps to heal digestive disorders such as colitis and inflammation
The best kind of coconut oil for pets and for humans would be organic, unrefined, unbleached, extra-virgin coconut oil. You will notice it will be in solid white form when at room temperature but turns into a liquid when above 78 degrees. When applied topically, it actually melts in the palm of your hands and is easily absorbed. My favorite kinds are Nutiva and Nature's Way EfaGold. Your dogs will love you for keeping them healthy and feeling great. Not only is it good for dogs, but coconut oil for pets is also good for cats, birds, and ferrets.